If you go to enough shows, they eventually all start to seem the same, from the big name bands playing sold out stadiums to the indie rockers playing in front of their friends at a local venue.
What if something cooler happened at a show than just the usual pandering and shocking encore to end the night, what if something different happened?
I have a few ideas.
- What if the lead singer started the show by standing in the crowd without anyone noticing?
- What if everyone in the crowd played a trick on the band by turning their backs on them for the first song? What if the band returned the favor?
- What if everyone turned off their smart phones for four hours and just enjoyed being their, partying like it’s nineteen ninety nine?
- What if we didn’t have to endure a forty minute sound check for a six song set list?
- What if everyone at the show wore those ginormous sumo suits?
- What if security just let the kids have fun for one night? Crowd surfing, moshing, rushing the stage to sing along with the singer and everyone having super soakers filled with Nickelodeon green slime?
- What if my favorite band just played through their entire discography, from the first song on their first album to the last song on their upcoming unreleased album? I’m looking at you, Relient K.
- Jello. Wrestling.
- Reenacting Braveheart.
- What if instead of doing everything exactly the same as they have always been done, pretending that bands aren’t working on a broken music industry model, as if things could be afforded as they have been afforded for the last few decades, that our artists actually tried to do something creative and those of us who love their art showed it with our own efforts to do something new?